Grep and Sed to Modify All Files in Directory

I recently decided to rebrand this website, complete with a different domain, title, and author (that’s me!) This is part of the beauty of using a static site generator like Hugo; I updated the domain in my configuration file, and everything else just magically changed when the site was recompiled. The caveat is that I wanted to change the author attribute in each post to a different name to match my new Mastodon profile.
Read more →

Quarantine Time Script

Are you tired of sitting at home wondering how many days you’ve been choosing to quarantine like a responsible adult? Me too! The number of times I’ve been in conversations or working on posts for blogs or social media and thought, “Wait, how long have I been at home now?” followed by wasting time doing rough calendar math in my head was enough that I finally burned some time this weekend putting together a script for it.
Read more →

Hugo and the Implausibly Old Time Stamp

Managing this blog is handled through a variety of shell scripts. I have a script for executing hugo to rebuild the site and copy the output of the public directory to the folder where Nginx hosts it, for example. One of my scripts creates a tarball of the site and uses rsync to copy it to another server so that, if my VPS blows up, I can easily retrieve the backup.
Read more →

Making a Hash for the HTML Integrity Property

I caused a little bit of chaos for myself the other night when I updated one of my websites. The site is a static, single page that I use for work-related bookmarks; it’s basically a site I stood up to have something at a domain I wanted to buy. While making a couple of changes to the links, I decided to update the background image. That was a little bit gross to do since the site was originally compiled with Hugo, but after the initial setup I just modified the HTML directly.
Read more →

Groovy Programming HttpClient

As a follow-up to my post on creating a JWT in Groovy, I did manage to figure out how to make an HttpClient in Groovy as opposed to making raw connections. You can see this implemented in the GitHub repository I used for the previously linked post. It was honestly pretty easy to do, and there are tons of tutorials out there; the code is essentially the same regardless of whether you’re doing it in Java, Kotlin, or Groovy.
Read more →